11.25.2006

Fat Joe - Me, Myself & I

The Real Joe

Long ago he emerged from the shadows of the late Christopher Rios. For a while it was Big Pun and that other fat dude but Joey has since created an identity all his own. This is his seventh album and the way it sounds, his best yet. I doubt it will be his best selling (for lack of commercial appeal) but he’s commercially stable so let’s see what the Bronx Bomber has to offer.

How many times have I said it? The intro is that first fix that makes you want to try some more. And on Me, Myself & I, Pendemic makes a statement of what’s to come. Not only did Streetrunner represent, the evolution of Joey continues with his lyrically progression. When I first heard No Drama, I was thinking that the song was hot but I swear I heard it before. It sounded like a Ross remix. Excuse me while I rant. I listen to Where My Money from the Rick Ross album. Which reminds me…I listen to Money on My Mind from the Lil’ Wayne album. This reminds me…so I listen to Hustlin’ from the Rick Ross album. Apparently The Runners are in a scam selling the same beats to multiple MCs. Get money, I guess. Anyway…back to Joe. Make it Rain features Lil Wayne (for the second time on the album) on a Scott Storch production. Fat Joe gets back with Streetrunner on Bendicion Mami. The baseline hits beautifully with the sample and sets the mood just right for The Don to talk about his mama.

The new Fat Joe is really good, but he flies dangerously below the radar nowadays. Lately, I haven’t seen him jumping in swimming pools draped in baby blue minks or licking the bottom of a fresh pair of footwear. A good thing. Nor have I heard the leader of the TS BS’n with R&B i.e. Ashanti, R. Kelly and J.Lo. Also a good thing. The album is lyrically surprising and the percussion is superior. Never have I been so indifferent about an album’s release yet so impressed about the outcome. It’s currently in contention to be one of the best rap albums of the year. Me, Myself & I gets away from the glitz and glam and gets back to rap and that’s what we fans like to see.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 matches

Hot Trax: Pendemic, The Profit, Make It Rain, Bendicion Mami

1 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woooow, 4.5 out of 5? you usually pretty ruthless wit your reviews, so ima have to check this one out just off strength...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home